Thursday, August 13, 2009

Dr Patrick Yesudian Speech

Though Dr Yesudian could not attend our reunion his message was from the heart. It  was made even more relevant by Dr Krishnakumar. Thanks KK for speaking for your mentor. I will always remember the line- Be faithful to your daily tasks.


Prabhakar

Here is the speech unedited



Young Friends

Though you’ll all be in your 4th decade, to me you are still young as I remember you in the 80s. I would have loved to have been amidst you this evening but unfortunately I have to travel to Erode for a Dermatology conference. I may not remember your names but I can certainly recognise your faces.

 

When I was transferred from ESI hospital and posted as Professor of dermatology at the K.M.C, I was first disappointed when I saw my department. You’ll recollect that the department of dermatology was housed in asbestos-roofed shed more suited to act as a war time shelter but I just did what my mentor Prof. Thambiah used to say “Be faithful to your daily task”. I did just that by being in the hospital at 8 A.M sharp and seeing the O.P patients along with my single assistant.

 

Soon, not only did the O.P attendance increase but students started requesting me for classes. I was of course delighted to have then and one day in a week I used to have slide sessions which attracted not only KMC students but also some from MMC. These slide projections were presumably very useful for those who went for their PLAB or USMLE. Dr. Pandian who is now a respiratory consultant in USA told me that he was shown a case of sporotrichosis for the spotters. He was the only candidate to have got it right, since he had seen a similar slide at my class. So my short stint at KMC was soul-satisfying and the happiest time in my service career of over 30 years.

 

The only blotch in my happy memories was the brief period when I was forcibly made warden of  the men’s hostel. Every day I’ll be flooded with complaints about non-supply of water, poor quality of food, troublesome neighbours and stuff like that over which I had little control except to pass it on to the Dean. But the nightmarish event that marred my wardenship was, when a student sent me a lawyer’s notice stating that I was jealous of his popularity as secretary of the college union! That was the last straw on the camel’s back and I promptly met the chief secretary who was my patient and on his orders I was immediately relieved of the warden’s post.

 

One of my faithful pupils was Krishna Kumar who never missed my clinic even after I went to MMC as Professor. sometimes I used to despair of him because he came to MMC at the expense of other subjects like pathology and Obstetrics much to the annoyance of the Professors of other departments. After his graduation I thought that he will take up to dermatology, but he branched off to pathology. I am happy to see that he still keeps in touch with dermatology though considered an authority in ocular pathology and stem cells.

 

During my recent visit to U.K, I visited a hospital in North Wales where my son is a consultant dermatologist. I was happy to see that nearly half a dozen consultants in that hospital were medicos from Madras. Two were from KMC. Ambalavanan who is a consultant in respiratory medicine and Hearton who is a consultant in haematology may be known to you. They insisted that I should give a talk at their clinical meeting. So I spoke on “Old is Gold” which was appreciated by the staff.

 

Finally, the enduring factors in medicine have always been compassion, pity, care and love which I am sure all of you are practising.

 

Have a great reunion before you reach the metallic age – silver in your hair, gold in your teeth and titanium in your hips.

 

God bless you all. 

14 comments:

  1. Dear Prof. Patrick
    The message and content you delivered is as precise and exemplery as your teaching. i still remember you were joking on me not attending medical op and attending your outpatients in the famous 'asbestos barn'. I used to admire and be jelous about how you were able to correlate your knowledge of basic sciences with clinical medicine. I recall the days we played staff Vs Students cricket match when you played and still remember our college council inaguration (13/10/1988) on stage when you asked me, Are you not reading for the final exam?
    I hope you read this message otherwise prabhakar can forward this message to you sir.
    Ravi
    Anaesthetic Registrar, StGeorges Hospital, London. UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have attached some photos. It was difficult to upload photos here - so it's in a new blog - link here - www.kmc1984.blogspot.com.
    Please copy and paste this to access this site.
    No comments on 'that' site please.
    All responses - back to this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vinod,

    You can only upload pics in the Reminisce 2009 blog. Others have been able to do it with the password and username I sent by email. When we meet on monday I can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok. I can switch all the pictures over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Prabhakar
    how can i see the pictures?
    Ravi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ravi,

    If you give your email id, I can send you the info. It has username & password & I don't think it is wise to share them on the blogspot.

    Kalyani

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear kalyani
    my mail id is giriravi64@yahoo.co.uk
    Ravi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ravi,

    I will be mailing the pics today to everyone. Since the file is big , I will send only one file every 2 days. I thought you received all my prior eamils. Please confirm, if not will add the email you have posted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. dear prabhakar
    i just received the mail regarding 1of 5 pictures.
    so add my mail id giriravi64@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi all
    Happy independence day
    Ravi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Prabhakar,
    After I got here, I spoke to a couple of people who havn't been getting all your mails. So can you please make sure that everyone's e mail id is on your mailing list. Banu sent a class contact list with e mail ids only about a week before the reunion. Also quite a few who couldn't come for the reunion are interested in getting Priscilla's CD with the slide show. Banu must be leaving in the middle of next week, so can you send a few copies through her?

    Ravi, I hope you recd. my mail.

    And Happy Independence day to everyone.

    Kalyani

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Kalyani,

    I will check the list .But in addition the classmates who are interested to get the address book CD can email me at -prabhudevavaram@hotmail.com.

    We are charging Rs 500 per CD for the non participants of the reunion.

    Prabhakar

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Prabhakar
    Have you sent the CD to me through someone?
    Ravi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just got back to the UK , thanks to all involved who have made this reunion unforgetfull
    had a fantastic time
    mathi

    ReplyDelete