Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy Pongal/Once upon a time in Springfield
























I love Pongal; the festival. Cool days in Chennai, sweet Pongal,  dressed up cows and best of all the sugarcane. Sugarcane is unpredictable , you don't know till you have taken the first bite. But when its sweet and right; its heaven. 
So I took a trip to Tana street in Purasawalkam where all the Pongal hustle and bustle should be . Unfortunately the street vendors are being replaced by supermarkets. But there are  a few hold outs. The vegetable ladies from whom I used to buy are still there, but my favourite, I learnt had died in the past year. She used to save the best mangoes when they were in season and would sell them only if I didn't visit her that day. In later years I would always visit her during my trips to India and last year introduced my children to her.

Now for  a trip to Springfield. I have been a fan of  The Simpsons for a long time and learnt that the TV show is celebrating its 20th anniversary. More recently I have been buying Simpson comic books and enjoy them immensely. The combination of high brow comedy, silly antics, satire of current events, as well as political humour is sublime. My favourite character is Chief Wiggum- the donut eating police chief. After spending quality time  with my children watching  cartoons, I have become a fan of Sponge Bob and Chota Bheem as well.

I  believe that comics and cartoons should be added to the school curriculum; I for sure would have been a better student.

I hear that there has been snow and a cold front in the UK and people are not coping very well. Panic has set in - is one of the news headline from the UK. So UK docs send us pictures, post them on reminisce2009. My advice , wear several layers.

Prabhakar

10 comments:

  1. Hi naga
    Happy Birthday.Have a good day.

    Hi Prabhakar
    Snow is creating havoc here as we are not used to them often. There is a acute shortage of salt as they are used for gritting of roads. I had one day off as there were schools were closed for my children last wednesday. The children had a gala time making snowman. I will post them in Reminisce 2009.
    happy Pongal to everyone.

    Prem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi folks,

    Sorry I was gone for a while. I am sure everyone missed me...:)
    Happy newyear and happy pongal to everybody.

    I look back and think...as a kid every festival was great and fun...When we grow up a bit we question a lot, the "meanings/meaninglessness" of the festivals, the rituals and superstitions - the questioning teenager or young adult, I guess when we become parents we want to get back into the culture so our kids could get glimpses of it...the same ritual is fun, superstition and culture at different times in our lives....it comes a full circle...

    all said...I love my festivals...i miss chennai esp for those festivals....

    Kumar

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did miss your comments, Kumaran. Happy Pongal to you . I in the spirit of doctor degree being conferred to movie actors; I would like to award you with a movie title to your name. I confer the title of "Ulagam Sut-trum Vaaliban " to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...good one Prabhakar...I second you!

    Happy Pongal to everyone!

    Let's exchange more pictures on Reminisce 2009 site guys...

    Banu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nanbargal anayvarukkum pongal Vazthukkal
    Ravi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi friends
    happy Pongal
    I have posted some pictures on the reminisce 2009 blog.
    Kumaran nice to read your comments.
    Regards
    prem

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Prabhack

    Thanks for the New year card and the photo. You guys looks picture perfect, and the scenery is breathtaking! where in the world are U?
    and is that a dog or sheep or wolf behind you?

    regards

    Ramzan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish you all a very Happy Pongal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Ramzan. the picture was taken in Sikkim and it was a random stray dog.

    Prabhakar

    ReplyDelete
  10. hai everybody please keep n touch

    ReplyDelete